Thursday, March 26, 2009

81/365 Dress

Photobucket

While I was out perusing the area to find something of interest to photograph, one of my constant companions found a vine of honeysuckles. After announcing the great find, my young companion then proceeded to make a dress out of the honeysuckle for one of the members of our entourage--Raidia, a female LEGO.

I remember being in the home of a new friend for a play date years ago. The children were coloring something (details are fuzzy) and the mom beside me was growing increasingly more frustrated as each minute passed. Her 3 year old just would not color within the lines no matter how much she admonished him to do so. I understood her frustration, it comes from wanting or maybe needing to fit in with the crowd.

Watching my little one today create this cool dress made me smile. I'm so glad I've never encouraged my children to color inside of the lines.

Lesson: "Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower."
--Steve Jobs

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Andrea, every day you create something wonderful. I love watching your blog. When I was 5 years old my mother allowed me to finger through her button box. There were all shapes and sizes. Pearl ones, jewel looking ones, shinny black ones, sea shell ones! I thought they were wonderful. An idea occurred to me so I ran off to find my mothers stash of bread bag twist ties (she was a frugal woman who saved for a rainy day). I threaded one through the loop on the back of one of the buttons and made a ring that I could slip on my finger. I thought it was so beautiful that I made one for my mom, sister and my teacher who recognized my creative nature and encouraged my mother to nurture it. I tell you this long story because that flower skirt is only the tip of the iceberg. :o)

Andrea said...

What a wonderful story Karen! Thank you so much for taking the time to share it with me!

You are one of my most inspiring photographymentors. I've never told you that, but you've changed the way I see things in just the short time we've known each other.